Dominion Power’s Surry Nuclear Power Station, located in Surry, VA (to the south of Williamsburg, across the James River) supplies power to the Tidewater Area.
Full-scale tests of the Early Warning Siren System (EWSS) surrounding the Surry Power Station are scheduled four (4) times a year on the second Wednesday of every third month at approximately 11:10 am.
NOTE: One of the Surry Power Plant Sirens is located in the William & Mary parking lot directly behind King & Queen Apartments.
Upcoming dates for the siren tests can be found HERE.
A steady three-minute tone will be sounded at 61 siren locations within a 10-mile radius of the Surry Nuclear Power Station operated by Virginia Power.
Testing Schdule: http://www.jmu.edu/wmra/eas/surry.html
In the event of an emergency at the Surry Power Station, please review the evacuation information below:
Zone 21: City of Williamsburg
Consists of City of Williamsburg
Primary evacuation routes
- Use York street west, Capital Landing Rd., Second Street west and Merrimac Tr. West to Interstate 64 west
- Use Francis Street, Henry Street south to Hemelsine Parkway to Interstate 64 west or Henry Street north to Merrimac Tr. And Interstate 64 west
- Use Jamestown Rd. corridor south to either John Tyler Lane west, Rt 5 or Rt 199 west to Interstate 64 west
- Use Richmond Rd. west, Lafayette Street west to Monticello Ave. to Hemelsine Parkway, Rt 199 west to Interstate 64
- Use Richmond Rd. west to Hemelsine Parkway, Rt 199 to Interstate 64 west or Richmond Rd. west to Rt 30 west
Evacuation Assembly Centers
- New Kent County High School