Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about King & Queen Apartments, being a tenant and renting, in general.









  • General
  • How is Rent credited each month?

    Rent is credited to the longest outstanding balance first.

    For instance, if you have an outstanding balance of $150 on the last day of the month and you pay your normal rent for the following month the next day, your payment will be credited toward the $150 delinquency first before being credited toward the following month's rent.  If you do not 'catch up' on this outstanding balance, your account will be subject to Late Fees each month.

    According to Virginia law, "Rent" means all money, other than a security deposit, owed or paid to the landlord under the rental agreement, including prepaid rent paid more than one month in advance of the rent due date. This includes all unpaid utility charges and any other unpaid fees.

  • What type of construction was used to build the apartments??

    The integrity and structure of both 3-story apartment buildings were built-to-last with James River brick, block, mortar, poured concrete, iron, and steel.  The walls of each apartment are mainly original plaster and all of the hung windows were replaced in 2012 with thermal windows.  Concrete block firewalls run vertically between each apartment.

  • In what year were the apartment buildings built?

    Construction of the apartment buildings was completed in 1964.

  • How is mail handled at the apartments?

    U.S. Mail and other parcel and package delivery services deliver to King & Queen Apartments.  U.S. Postal Service mail and U.S. Postal Service packages are delivered to an assigned mailboxes for each apartment. These mailboxes are located by Apartment 1.

    Packages from UPS or Fed Ex are typically delivered by the carrier to the apartment door of whom the the package is addressed.  Packages from the U.S. Postal service are typically left at the mailboxes.King & Queen Mailboxes

    In order for any mail or package to be properly delivered, the mail or package must have the following legibly written on them:

    1. the name of the tenant(s) currently living in a particular apartment;
    2. the proper apartment number on the mail or package.

    For example, mail and packages should be addressed:

    Tenant Name
    732 Scotland Street, Apt. X (or #X)
    Williamsburg, VA 23185

    If neither the name, nor the apartment number is properly indicated, the mail or package could be returned to sender.

    Management is neither responsible for any mail or packages left at the Premises, including mailboxes, porches, sidewalks and landings, nor is it responsible for the acceptance of any packages, furniture, items or articles, on behalf of a tenant, that are delivered to the Premises. This includes mail or packages that do not indicate the proper apartment number in the address.

    Tenants are encouraged to check and empty their mailbox on a regular basis.  If a mailbox becomes so overloaded with mail that the mail carrier is unable to continue to deliver mail to the mailbox, the undelivered mail could be returned to sender.

    When a tenant moved out, Management does not forward mail to the new address. At the end of the lease term, at vacancy, tenants must file a Change of Address with the United States Postal Service.


  • Do you have recycling available at the apartments?

    Yes, recycling is available at the apartments.  In fact, the recycling receptacle is located directly beside the garbage dumpster and is only to be used for recyclable materials.

    For more information about recyclable materials, please refer to the February 2013 post about Recycling



  • How is parking handled at the apartments?

    The parking lot is reserved for tenant use only.  Each apartment is permitted to have no more than one (1) vehicle.

    If a tenant wishes to park a vehicle in the parking lot, the tenant must register the vehicle with Management and provide the Management with a copy of the vehicle registration of the vehicle that will be parked in the parking lot.

    For more information about parking and parking decals, please refer the Lease Forms.

  • How long is a typical lease term?

    Our leases are typically 11.5 to 12 months.  The first lease term typically begins between June 6th-9th and ends on May 22nd of each year.  Renewed leases begin on May 22nd for 12 months.  Depending on availability, it is possible to have a shorter lease term, if a lease is signed and commences in July, August or even January.  In these cases, the lease term will still end on May 22nd.

  • Do I have to be a college student to lease an apartment?

    Since the apartments are located literally next door to the College of William & Mary, all of our residents are students.  However, you do not have to be presently enrolled in the college to lease an apartment.

  • How do I get mail to come to my apartment?

    You will need to visit the nearest US Post Office and complete a change of address form or you can go online and use ther US Postal Service's change of address system. See US Postal Service Change of Address.

  • I'm moving (or have moved) and need to forward my mail. Do you do that for me? How does that work?

    When a tenant moves out, Management does not forward mail to the new address. That is the tenants' responsibility. At the end of the lease term, at vacancy, tenants must file a Change of Address with the United States Postal Service.

    Any mail or packages, including USPS, Fed Ex and UPS, that are delivered to the apartments after you move out or to someone who does not currently reside in the apartment complex, will be returned to sender.  Please notify the United States Postal Service of your new address before you move and be careful to not use a previous shipping address when ordering products online.

  • Do I really need renter's insurance or am I covered under my parents' homeowner's insurance?

    If you are a college student living off campus, you need your own renter's insurance policy to cover your belongings and any damage to your apartment or the premises.

    According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC),

    "College students renting an off-campus apartment or house while away at school should consider purchasing renters insurance to protect their personal property, such as a computer, television, stereo, bicycle or furniture, in the event that it is damaged, destroyed or stolen.

    Even if a student is a dependent under his or her parent’s insurance, the student’s personal property, in many cases, is not covered if the student lives off campus. Parents should check their policy or contact their insurance agent to see if renters insurance is right for their son or daughter who is away at school."

    However, often parents and/or students assume or are misled to believe that the parents' homeowner's insurance will cover any loss or damage to a an off-campus house or apartment. This can be a very costly mistake. The NAIC notes that "...if a college student is under 26 years old, enrolled in classes and living in on-campus housing, the student may be covered under his or her parents’ homeowners or renters insurance policy."

    For the potential benefits and coverage, purchasing renter's insurance is not costly at all.  The NAIC says that "the premiums for renters insurance average between $15 and $30 per month depending on the location and size of the rental unit and the policyholder’s possessions."

    Additionally, students living in off-campus housing should consider purchasing both personal property and liability coverage. "Most renters insurance policies provide two basic types of coverage: personal property and liability. Personal property coverage pays to repair or replace personal belongings if they are damaged, destroyed, or stolen. This is the most commonly purchased renters policy.

    Liability insurance provides coverage against a claim or lawsuit resulting from bodily injury or property damage to others caused by an accident while on the policyholder’s property."

  • Am I required to purchase and have renter's insurance while living at King & Queen Apartments?

    Yes, all tenants are required to have an active renter's insurance policy while living in an apartment at King & Queen Apartments.  More information about this can be found in the FAQ, "Do I really need renter's insurance or am I covered under my parents' homeowner's insurance?"

  • What are the maximum number of tenants that can be on the lease and live in an apartment?

    All of the apartments consist of one (1) bedroom and the maximum number of occupants is two (2).  According to Section 404.4.1 of the Virginia Maintenance Code:

    404.4.1 Room area. Every living room shall contain at least 120 square feet (11.2 m2) and every bedroom shall contain at least 70 square feet (6.5 m2) and every bedroom occupied by more than one person shall contain at least 50 square feet (4.6 m2) of floor area for each occupant thereof.

    Additionally, Section 404.4 of the Virginia Maintenance Code further states:

    404.5.1 Sleeping area. The minimum occupancy area required by Table 404.5 shall not be included as a sleeping area in determining the minimum occupancy area for sleeping purposes. All sleeping areas shall comply with Section 404.4.

    Occupancy Table



    The bedrooms at King & Queen Apartments are right at 146 square feet (13.6 m2) each.  Therefore, the bedroom floor area requirement to allow an additional, third occupant would mean the bedrooms would have to be at least 170 square feet (15.8 m2).

  • What are the open dimensions of the double hung windows in which air conditioners can be installed?

    The measurement of the open area of the double hung windows when the bottom sash is fully raised is 32.25" wide and 24" high.

  • Are there on-site laundry facilities?

    No, King & Queen Apartments does not have the space for on-site laundry facilities.  However, there are several local options* to wash and dry your dirty clothes.

    562424_597055256973756_2067088212_nLaundry service: Locally owned and operated We Do It 4 U Delivery Laundry Services is an option.  They can have your laundry picked up, washed, folded, and delivered back to your apartment within 24 hours!   They pick up and deliver up to 4 times per month. This laundry service option will save you lots of time each month.  No more carrying, washing, drying, sorting or folding your laundry.  They offer very reasonable monthly rates for college students.Pounds of Laundry











    Nearby washers/dryers/laundromats: Since King & Queen Apartments is located adjacent to the College of William & Mary, Tenants, who are students at the college, could possibly use on-campus laundry facilities.  Other laundromat facilities are also located nearby, just a short drive away.

    See map below, as well as, information and distance from King & Queen Apartments:

    Laundry facilities close to King & Queen Apartments
    Map courtesy of the College of Willam & Mary.
    Approximate distance to nearest on-campus laundry facility (in feet from King & Queen Apartments):

    Tribe Square (715): <250 (+/-) feet

    Bryan Complex (608, 614, 604, 710 & 662): <450 (+/-) feet

    One Tribe Place (675): <600 (+/-) feet

    Soaps ‘n Suds – 216 Monticello Avenue: <.9 miles

    *PLEASE NOTE: Reference in this article to any specific commercial product, process, or service, or the use of any trade, firm, or corporation name is for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by King & Queen Apartments, LLC.

  • Current Tenants
  • What if the my Security Deposit does not cover the damage or other charges when I move out?

    A letter will be sent to you notifying you of the balance due that could not be covered by your deposit.  Payment will be expected promptly to prevent further legal action to collect the debt.

  • My roommate situation is not working out. Can I leave without a problem?

    You should first refer to the terms of your Lease Agreement.

    In most cases, roommates are considered “tenants in common” and are joint and severally responsible for the terms of the Lease Agreement and all parties named on the lease are responsible for the rent.  Check with your landlord to see if you can make arrangements to have another party take your place on the lease.  Prior to signing any lease, it is always a good idea to have a written understanding among roommates stating individual responsibilities and expectations.

  • I’m on a yearly lease and want to move. How can I break my lease?

    You should review your Lease Agreement thoroughly to determine if there is an early termination clause.  If there is one, you should follow the terms of the clause regarding prior notification to the landlord.  If there is no provision in your Lease Agreement for early termination, discuss your concerns with your landlord.  Abandoning the property will not resolve the issue and may cause you additional expenses or legal problems.

  • What do I do if my roommate leaves but I am staying?

    Please notify Management in writing that the roommate will no longer be occupying the apartment.   Management will supply a form which needs to be signed by all parties.  The security deposit will be processed at the time the apartment is completely vacated.

  • May I sublet (or sublease) my apartment?

    No, subletting or subleasing without written permission from Management is not allowed.   If you must vacate your apartment and find someone who will take over your lease, they must go through our application process and be approved.

  • I'm getting a new roommate. What is the procedure?

    The individual (and their guarantor, if applicable) must fill out an application, pay the application fee and be approved.  Once approved, they will sign an addendum adding them to the lease.

  • I'm graduating at the end of the fall semester. Can I get out of my lease?

    You would need to either complete the term of your lease by paying rent for your apartment or you must find someone to take over your lease.  They (and their guarantor, if applicable) will need to complete a rental application, pay the application fee and once they are approved, they will either sign an addendum adding them to the lease or will sign a new lease altogether.

  • I'm going abroad next semester. Can I get out of my lease?

    You would need to either complete the term of your lease by paying rent for your apartment or you must find someone to take over your lease.  They (and their guarantor, if applicable) will need to complete a rental application, pay the application fee and once they are approved, they will either sign an addendum adding them to the lease or will sign a new lease altogether.

  • I want to stay in my apartment next year. Can I do that?

    Let Management know, in writing, as soon as you and your roommate have decided to definitely stay.  A new Lease Agreement will be sent to you to sign, which will extend your lease through May 22nd of next year.

    You must give at least one hundred twenty (120) days notice to renew.  Deadline for renewing your lease is January 22nd (120 days from the end of the lease).

  • My neighbors are being really noisy. What can I do about it?

    It is important to try to get along with your neighbors.  If it is after hours and they are being excessively noisy, call the police as this is a violation of disturbing the peace.  If they are just routinely noisy and it is not extreme you can contact them directly (and nicely) to let them know that the noise level of their apartment is at a disturbing level.  They may not even realize that they are being loud.  Or, you can contact Management during normal business hours to relay this noise issue.

  • I want to renew my lease. Will my rent go up? If so, why?

    Unfortunately, the simple answer is likely, yes, and the reason is inflation.  The cost of insurance, taxes, maintenance, and supplies goes up every year.  But so does employee pay if you are a working tenant.   A market analysis is conducted every year and Management does its best to be very competitive and offer reasonable rental rates.

  • Can I leave furniture in the apartment for the next tenant to use?

    No.  As noted in the Lease Agreement, by the end of the lease, no later than 12noon on May 22nd, tenants must remove all debris, rubbish, personal belongings and discard all items from the apartment.

    If you are selling or giving furniture, or other personal items, to someone who is moving into the apartment on or around June 6th, after their lease begins, they will need to put those items into storage for period between the time you vacate the apartment and the new lease begins.

    Any furniture or personal items left in the apartment after the apartment has been vacated is considered abandoned property. Section 55-248.38:1 of the VRLTA covers abandoned property.

  • Lease
  • When is Rent due?

    Unless otherwise noted in the Lease Agreement, Rent is due on the 1st of the month and considered late after 5pm on the 5th of the month.  Rent must be received by 5pm on the 5th of the month.

    If Rent is paid after 5pm on the 5th of the month, a late fee of 10% is assessed, per the Lease Agreement, to the total rent amount due that month that has not been paid.

  • When are Late Fees charged?

    Unless otherwise noted in the Lease Agreement, Rent is due on the 1st of each month.  If Rent is not paid by 5pm on the 5th of the month a Late Fee of 10% of the Rent amount that has not been paid will be assessed.

    Monthly Utility Charges are due by the due date noted on the Utility Statement.  A Late fee of $5 will be assessed per § 55-226.2 of the Code of Virginia if payment is not made by the due date.

  • What happens if my check is returned 'NSF'?
    You will be notified and immediate payment is expected in the form of secured funds, either money order or cashier's check.
    You will be charged with a NSF Check Fee and, if the 'NSF' transaction occurs after the 5th of the month, a 10% late fee will be assessed.  Additionally, a civil recovery fee of up to $250 may be assessed per § 8.01-27.2 of the Code of Virginia.
  • What do I need to do when I move out?

    Your Lease Agreement and Rules and Regulations details the things you need to do and accomplish to properly vacate your apartment.  In fact, your Lease documents outline them in great detail.  Please refer to your Lease documents and contact Management with any questions.

  • At move-out, can I clean the apartment myself and get my security deposit back?

    We require the apartment to be professionally cleaned, at tenant's expense, at move-out or vacancy at lease expiration by a Landlord-approved cleaning company.

    Please check the website and/or with Brooks Real Estate, Inc for a list of Landlord-approved cleaning companies.

    A copy of the paid Landlord-approved cleaning company’s bill is required at time of move-out. Tenants must schedule well in advance for their apartment to be cleaned to ensure that the apartment is clean prior to move-out.

    If a tenant does not have their apartment cleaned by a Landlord-approved cleaning company prior to move-out, Landlord may hire a cleaning company to clean the apartment and the cost of cleaning, plus a $100.00 Coordination Fee, shall be deducted from the tenant’s Security Deposit.


  • How long are your leases?

    Typical first year leases are for 11.5 months, beginning on June 6th of each year. All leases end on May 22nd.  Notice to renew must be received within ninety (90) days before the end of the lease or the lease will automatically terminate. If the lease is renewed, the lease will continue as a 12 month lease, ending on May 22nd. Please contact Management is you have questions about availability and a specific commencement date of a lease.

  • Landlord/Tenant
  • What is an Unlawful Detainer filing?

    In Virginia, the filing of an Unlawful Detainer is the first step in the eviction process and should be taken seriously.  A decision by the court in favor of the Plaintiff (Landlord) can stay on your record for 10 years and might make it difficult to obtain future housing and credit.  The Unlawful Detainer process is also expensive, the cost of which will be the responsibility of the resident to whom it is filed against.

  • Can I apply my Security Deposit to my last month's Rent?

    No. Your Security Deposit is held in a separate escrow account and can only be used for outstanding charges after you vacate the property – NOT for your last month’s Rent.

  • What Virginia law addresses Landlord/Tenant issues?

    The Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act ("the Act"), Sections 55-248.2 through 55-248.40 of the Code of Virginia, establishes the rights and obligations of landlords and tenants in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Only the courts can enforce those rights and responsibilities.

    The organizations listed below may provide additional information about the Act or to assist you with rental issues.  Please be aware that different cities and counties in Virginia may have their own Landlord/Tenant commission or similar office.  Please contact those offices directly for additional information that may be specific to your locality.

    Virginia Lawyer Referral Service
    800.552.7977 or 804.775.0808

    Virginia Legal Aid

    Virginia Supreme Court – General District Court finder

    Virginia Fair Housing Office
    888.551.3247 or 804.367.8530

  • My Landlord thinks they can come into my home at any time. Can they?

    Your landlord may gain access to the property to make repairs, inspect the property or to show the property to prospective buyers or tenants.  In these cases, the tenant may not unreasonably withhold access to the property.  In cases where access is denied, either party may bring a civil action in General District Court to remedy the issue.

    Section 55-248.10:1 of the Act addresses the rights and remedies of both landlords and tenants.

    Section 55-248.18 of the Act addresses access to the property and required notice by the landlord.

  • I’m a member of the Armed Forces and have been ordered to another location. What can I do about my lease?

    If you are on active duty or a civilian employee with the military, you may qualify for early termination of the rental agreement pursuant to Section 55-248.21:1 of the Act. This section addresses early termination by persons receiving orders to relocate at least 35 miles away from their current address and it also covers persons leaving active service. You are strongly advised to read the entire section carefully to determine the conditions that must be met for early lease termination.

  • How long can my previous landlord keep my Security Deposit?

    The Security Deposit is held to pay for items damaged beyond reasonable wear and for any late or unpaid bills or fees.  The landlord has 45 days after termination of lease and delivery of possession of the Premises to inspect the unit, make any qualifying repairs, and return to you the remaining balance in an itemized, written notice plus interest, if applicable.

    Section 55-248.15:1 of the Act addresses this issue.

  • My lease is about to end. Can the landlord increase my rent?

    Landlords cannot increase rent during the lease period, but can increase rent at the end of the lease period by any amount they choose.  There is no cap on the amount of increase.  You should contact your landlord prior to the end of the lease to determine if there will be an increase and, if so, how much. Landlords should give proper notice prior to the end of the lease if there will be an increase in the monthly rent.

  • I can’t pay all of my rent this month. Can the landlord evict me?

    The full rental amount is due and payable on the date stated on the Lease Agreement. If you fail to pay that amount, the landlord may issue a Notice of Default: Failure to Pay Rent notice that requires you to pay the full amount by a given date. The landlord is not obligated to accept partial payments and can accept any late payment with reservation. The landlord cannot remove your property or take other action against you to remove you, but must rely on an eviction notice from the courts to take possession of the property.

    Section 55-248.31 F of the Act addresses non-payment of rent

    Section 55-248.20 of the Act addresses tenant surrendering possession of Dwelling Unit.

    Section 55-248.34:1 of the Act addresses landlord acceptance of rent with reservation.

  • What is eviction?

    Eviction is the process by which a landlord obtains possession of the rental property by entering a law suit against the tenant and receiving a judgment from the court directing the tenant to

    • leave the property and
    • pay back any rent,
    • pay any damage claims and
    • pay the costs of the court process.

    If your landlord is trying to evict you, you will be notified of this action and summoned to appear in court to address the charges. You should be prepared to offer a defense.

    Section 55-248.31 of the Act outlines steps that must be taken by the landlord in the eviction process.

  • My landlord refuses to repair anything. What can I do to get things repaired?

    For issues not involving safety, you should advise the landlord in writing of the specific items needing repair. The letter should state that the landlord has a reasonable amount of time not to exceed thirty days, from the date of receipt to make the repairs. You should consider sending the letter via certified mail so the delivery date is noted. If repairs are still not made, the tenant may place the rent in an escrow account with the General District Court having jurisdiction in that locality.

    This action is detailed in Section 55-248.27 of the Act.

    Section 55-248.13 of the Act outlines the duties and responsibilities of the landlord to maintain the rental property.

  • Can I change the locks to my apartment?

    No, you are not authorized to change the locks to your apartment.

    Should you desire to have them changed during your tenancy, Management must approve the lock change.  The work will be done by a licensed locksmith and you will be responsible for the cost of re-keying the lock.

    Virginia law allows for new locks to be installed pursuant to a court order.  Section 55-248.18:1 of the Act explains this.

  • What is the Security Deposit used for and when do I get it back?

    The Security Deposit is not an extra rent payment, nor can it be sued for your last month's rent. Rather, it is used to cover the cost of any necessary repairs or cleaning after you move out at the end of your lease.  As stated in the Lease documents, the cost of cleaning the carpet and the apartment will be automatically deducted from the security deposit, if the apartment is not cleaned by an Owner-approved cleaning company and carpets professionally cleaned and deodorized by an Owner-approved carpet cleaning professional. In addition, the security deposit can be used for any damages, repairs, materials, painting costs and of course, any unpaid rent or other charges that were not taken care of before the end of the lease, including or any fees to change the locks due to unreturned keys. Security Deposit Dispositions are processed and mailed out within 45 days of vacancy or the end of your lease, whichever comes first, along with an itemized list of any deductions.

  • Maintenance
  • Can I perform the work myself and send you the bill?

    No.  You will not be reimbursed for any unauthorized repairs.  In fact, if the unauthorized repair was not done properly in the first place, you could be held responsible for the cost of repairing the unauthorized repair.

  • How quickly can I expect my Maintenance Request to be performed?

    First, be sure to submit all routine maintenance repairs by using the online Maintenance Request Form.

    Our goal is to complete repairs as soon as possible.  However, there are many factors that go into each Maintenance Request and a firm schedule cannot be set for any given repair request. Depending on when the request is submitted, you are typically contacted the same day request is received.  For all maintenance repairs, the contractor will assess the situation and determine the proper course of action before starting the repair.  Most routine maintenance repairs can be made when the maintenance contractor arrives at the apartment.  Again, all of this depends on when (day of the week, time of day) the Maintenance request is sent and the severity of the repair issue.  Routine maintenance issues are not repaired on weekends.

    It cannot be stressed enough to report any and all maintenance requests as soon as you notice them so the problem can be fixed in a timely manner.

  • Do I have to be present for a service technician to perform work?

    No.  All of our service personnel are screened, licensed, insured and display the utmost in professionalism.

    For security purposes, it is company policy for all maintenance and service personnel to lock every apartment door upon leaving the apartment, whether the door was found locked or unlocked.  As a safety precaution, when leaving your apartment, lock your apartment door and carry your keys with you.  For more information, see FAQs about keys, locks and lockouts.

  • My friend broke something while he/she was visiting. What do I do to have it fixed?

    It all depends on the severity of the issue.  If it is a routine repair, you can submit a request to have it fixed by using the online Maintenance Request Form.  However, if it is something that will affect the health and safety of you or the apartment, call the maintenance emergency number noted on the website Maintenance Request Form page.

    This issue will be repaired promptly; however, you will be responsible for paying the cost of replacement.  Repair costs are reasonable, but you must report a maintenance issue as soon as possible.

  • What is considered a Maintenance Emergency Repair?

    A Maintenance Emergency Repair is something that if not immediately addressed would likely cause damage to the apartment, premises or injury to its occupants.

    The following are considered Maintenance Emergency Repairs:

    • Water leak, or water dripping from a pipe or ceiling that will cause damage to the apartment.
    • Sewer backup
    • No heat and the outside temperature is expected to fall below 55 degrees.
    • Refrigerator not working
    • Doors, locks or windows are broken, therefore compromising the security of the apartment.
    • Any fire at all
    • Any incident involving emergency vehicles or emergency personnel.

    Any routine maintenance issue can be submitted through the online Maintenance Request Form and will be addressed the following business day.

  • Is it my responsibility to change a light bulb when it burns out?

    Yes, per your Lease documents, as a tenant, you are responsible to change all light bulbs when they burn out.  When a light bulb burns out, replace the bulb in the light fixture with a like-kind bulb.  Typically, the bulbs are 60-Watts. Take the bulb with you to Food Lion, Ace Hardware, Target, K-Mart etc. to purchase a replacement bulb (a typical-sized light bulb; the same kind/normal light bulb that goes into a lamp, etc.). If the bulb that is currently in the light fixture is an incandescent bulb and the store no longer carries incandescent bulbs, replacing it with a compact fluorescent bulb is fine, so long as you're able to put the fixture cover back on.

    Please refer to the rules & regulation of your lease before submitting a Maintenance Request.

    If you would rather have a contractor change the bulb, they can come by your apartment to change it, but you will be charged the service fee they charge Management for doing so.

  • My toilet is clogged, what should I do?

    Plunge the toilet to release clog. This may take a few tries to work. If the toilet is overflowing, shut off the water using the valve behind the toilet, and call maintenance.

  • I've noticed a leak in my apartment, what do I do?

    Report this to maintenance IMMEDIATELY.  If leaks are not reported within a reasonable time frame, the tenant will be charged for damages.

  • Do I have to use a shower curtain when showering?

    Yes, a plastic shower curtain liner must be used when taking showers.  Flooding, leaks and damage to the bathroom wall and floor can be caused by the misuse or no use of a shower curtain liner while showering.  Tenants will be charged for any damages caused by the misuse or no use of a shower curtain liner.

  • How can I prevent bugs from coming into my apartment?

    You cannot completely prevent bugs from coming into your apartment, or going anywhere for that matter.  You can, though, help to reduce their desire to come into your apartment. There are many conditions that attract bugs of all types. Some very common attractors include dirty dishes in the kitchen sink, spilled food on the stove/range top and in eyelets, dropped food, food wrappers, spilled beverages of all types and any kind of garbage. Everyone can help with the insect problem by keeping your apartments, and therefore your apartment building, as clean as possible and taking out your trash regularly.

  • What kind of insects and pests does pest control treat for?

    Pest control contractors treat the outside of each apartment building on a monthly basis and the inside of each apartment on a bi-monthly basis for a wide range of insects. Except on rare occasions, the pest control contractors do not treat for ants, flies, gnats, beetles or other common insects. Please contact Management if you discover insects or pests other than common insects or pests in your apartment.  If you kill one, please try to put it into a ziploc bag, marking the date and apartment number on it, and give it to the pest control contractor at the next time of service so they are aware of any issues.

  • How do I change a light bulb that has burned out in a fixture with a glass globe covering the bulb?

    You are responsible for changing all light bulbs in your apartment if they burn out during your lease term.

    To change a bulb in the kitchen ceiling light fixture:

    1. Turn the switch to the light fixture in the "off" position.
    2. Stand on a sturdy chair or step ladder.
    3. While holding/securing the glass globe in one hand, unscrew each of the screws, by hand, that are holding the glass globe in place several turns to the left.  Do not unscrew the screws completely from the holes.  Unscrew the screws enough so you can remove the glass globe from the light fixture.
    4. Carefully remove the glass globe.
    5. Set the glass globe down in a safe place.
    6. Unscrew the burned out light bulb(s).
    7. Replace the burned out light bulb(s).  Light bulbs should be 60-Watts (if incandescent, or equivalent, if using a compact fluorescent (CFL)).  Do not use an incandescent light bulb greater than 75-Watts in any ceiling or wall light fixture while occupying the apartment.
    8. While holding/securing the glass globe in one hand, re-position the glass globe back inside the light fixture, making sure that the beveled edges of the base of the globe sit flush up against the fixture.
    9. With the glass globe sitting flush inside the fixture, carefully reattach the glass globe over the light fixture by screwing each screw, by hand, several turns to the right, enough for the screws to hold the glass globe in place.  Be sure to screw the screws enough to hold the glass globe in place. Do not force the screws against the glass as it may put too much pressure on the glass globe and may crack/break the glass.

    To change the bulb in the bathroom light fixture, the same steps above apply, except that you do not need to stand on a sturdy chair or step ladder.

    Here is a YouTube video showing how to attach the glass globe over the light fixture.

    What kind of bulb?  When a light bulb burns out, replace the bulb in the light fixture with a like-kind bulb.  The bulbs in your apartment are 60-Watts (if incandescent, or equivalent, if using a compact florescent (CFL)). Take the bulb with you to Food Lion, Ace Hardware, Target, K-Mart etc. to purchase a replacement bulb (a typical-sized light bulb is known as Type-A bulb; the classic type of light bulb.  The same kind/normal light bulb that goes into a lamp, etc.). If the bulb that is currently in the light fixture is an incandescent bulb and the store no longer carries incandescent bulbs, replacing it with a compact fluorescent bulb is fine, so long as you're able to put the fixture's glass globe back over the bulb.

    Please refer to the rules & regulation of your lease before submitting a Maintenance Request.
    If you would rather have a contractor change the bulb, they can come by your apartment to change it, but you will be charged the service fee they charge Management for doing so.
  • There is an intermittent beeping coming from the smoke detector in my apartment. What do I do?

    There are at least 2 tamper-proof, Lithium-ion battery-powered smoke detectors installed in every apartment.  One is located on the ceiling in the living room by the kitchen, by the linen closet and thermostat and the other is located in the bedroom.

    Each smoke detector is inspected annually to verify if the battery, as well as, both the test button and smoke sensor are operating properly and are fully functional.  The Lithium-ion battery-powered units are equipped with a 10-year warranted battery; however, the battery could fail before the 10-year life.  When the battery fails, the unit will give a very annoying chirping noise every 45 seconds.

    If the unit begins chirping, please submit an online maintenance request to have the unit replaced and follow the instructions on the back of the unit to turn the unit (and chirping sound) off.

    DO NOT just reach up and take the unit down from the ceiling with the hope that you can replace the batteries.  The units are tamper-proof and can only be turned off (the chirping stopped) by following the instructions on the back of the unit.

    If a smoke detector is discovered to have been tampered with or taken down without notifying management, such actions are violation of the Williamsburg Fire Code and a direct violation of the Lease Agreement and Tenants will be assessed a fine for each occurrence, as noted in the Lease Agreement.


  • Utilities
  • How are the utilities billed and collected each month?

    Tenants are responsible for paying for electricity and heating fuel usage (for heat and hot water) in their apartment.

    Utility bills are sent to each tenant by a utility billing service between the 11th and 15th of the month and are due by the 1st of the following month.    The utilities are accrued by each apartment either individually, or collectively on a single meter, paid by the owner and then billed back to the tenants by actual usage, "RUBS" or a combination of the two.  The bills currently include electric, fuel for hot water and heat charges, as well as, a monthly billing fee, a one-time set-up fee for new tenants and a late fee if the bill is not paid by the 1st of the month.

    National Exemption Service (NES), a Utility Billing Service serves as the heating and electrical-metering, and utility billing agent. Tenants do not need to contact NES to set up their utilities or to set up utility billing. NES will be notified with the name(s), contact information of each Tenant and Lease Commencement Date. Tenants will be billed for utilities starting at the Commencement Date of the lease.

    NES will send the detailed monthly bill electronically, unless Tenant chooses to “opt-out” of electronic billing. If Tenant chooses to “opt-out” and receive the monthly utility bills by US Mail, Tenant shall be responsible for any fees that NES charges for sending bills via US Mail.

    A monthly processing fee in the amount of $5.00 is charged to each apartment for receiving, accounting and collection duties by the NES. This processing fee is subject to change.

    Payments to NES can be made online at Payments of the utility bill is required, in full, for the amount of the utility bill, prior to the due date noted on the bill, to avoid further penalty and/or action. A late fee of $5.00, per utility payment, will be assessed to all utility payments received after the due date.

    All utility bills, for which Tenant is responsible, are considered additional rent, as noted in the Lease Agreement.

    A $25 transaction fee may be charged to Tenant for any disruption of or change in billing services during the leasing period.

  • How can I reduce my monthly utility costs?
    Some easy ways to reduce your monthly utility costs are:
    • Turn off lights when not at home or when you are not using them.
    • Don't run your stove or oven longer than needed.
    • In the colder months:
      • Set the thermostat between at 68 degrees or, if comfortable, set it a bit lower.
      • If you notice a small draft under your front door, roll up a towel and put it along the bottom of the door to reduce heat and cooling loss.
      • Small gaps around and in window air-conditioners may allow warm air to leak outside. Please be cognizant of this.
      • If you have a (or even 2) window air-conditioner (even one the plastic vents installed for a portable air conditioner) in your window, there is a chance that you could experience higher than normal heating bills due to draft/heat loss.
      • Be sure to check your windows to make sure they are fully closed.  The best way to do this is to close the upper and lower sash and to lock them together.

    For more information, go to the Energy Conservation Tips post.

  • What is "RUBs"? And how are the utility charges calculated using RUBs?

    "RUBS" is an acronym for "ratio utility billing system".  Per § 55-226.2 of Virginia law, "A 'ratio utility billing system' means a program that utilizes a mathematical formula for allocating, among the tenants in a building...the actual or anticipated [utility] billings billed to the building...owner from a third-party provider of the utility service.  Permitted allocation methods may include formulas based upon square footage, occupancy, number of bedrooms, or some other specific method agreed to by the building...owner and the tenant in the rental agreement or lease."

    RUBs for Heating Fuel: King & Queen Apartments has a single meter for heating fuel.  The meter is read at the beginning of each month and the square footage of an individual dwelling unit (and the office on premises shall also be considered an individual dwelling unit for this purpose) is divided by the total number of square feet contained in the building, to determine that dwelling unit’s percentage of usage (the “Unit Percentage”).   The total heating fuel usage for the apartment community as indicated on the monthly meter reading is then multiplied by the applicable Unit Percentage for each dwelling unit to determine the allocated amount for heating fuel usage for each dwelling unit for the month.

    RUBs for Heating Fuel for Hot Water: King & Queen Apartments has a single meter for heating fuel for hot water.  The meter is read at the beginning of each month and the charges are allocated to each unit based upon the individual unit's percentage of the total number of occupants living in the apartment community ("Unit Occupancy").  The total heating fuel for hot water usage for the apartment community is indicated on the monthly meter reading is then divided by the applicable Unit Occupancy for each dwelling unit to determine the allocated amount for heating fuel for hot water usage for each dwelling unit for the month.

  • How are utility charges calculated?

    Electricity: Each dwelling unit at King & Queen Apartments has an individual sub-meter to calculate the electric usage of that apartment. Each sub-meter is read at the beginning of each month and each dwelling unit is charged for that dwelling unit's electricity usage for the month. The bill is calculated by multiplying the price per kWh by the total number of kWh used.

    Heat:  The apartment community has a main, hot water heating system.  The heating system is typically turned on in mid-October.  The hot water for the heat of the heating system circulates through heating pipes that run through the walls between dwelling units and to the coils of the individual heating air handlers.  Each dwelling unit has an individual thermostat that controls the temperature in the dwelling unit.  The heat bills are calculated by using the "RUBs" (Ratio Utility Billing) by Unit Percentage calculation method which is based on the square footage of the dwelling unit.

    When the heat is turned on, the heating pipes may keep an apartment at a steady, warm temperature, and the heating unit may not need to be turned on.  Thus the reason the RUBs heat billing is used.  Many dwelling units stay warm with just the hot water of the main heating system circulating through the walls without actually turning the heat on in the dwelling unit.

    Hot Water: Each dwelling unit has "instant" hot water which means if hot water is turned on from any faucet, the faucet will produce hot water within a few seconds. Fuel for hot water usage is calculated by using RUBs by Unit Occupancy and taking the amount of fuel used to heat domestic hot water (hot water that is used in the kitchen and bathroom) and dividing it by the number of occupants in the apartment community. The bills are based upon the number of occupants in a dwelling unit.

    Billing Fee: A monthly billing fee of $5 is added to each bill.  This fee is for reading the meters, calculating the charges and billing each month.

    One-time Set-up Fee: When a tenant moves into a dwelling unit, the meters have been read and the tenant moves in on a "clean slate".  A one-time set-up fee is charged to new tenants for setting up the account.  Since the utilities are always on, in the owner's name and the owner bills for each dwelling unit's utility usage, this fee is, in effect, the same as paying a utility provider to turn the utilities on in a new tenant's name, except, in that case, each utility company may charge a separate fee.  In this case, there is only one set-up fee for all utilities being billed to the tenant.

    Water & Sewer: Water and sewer are currently included in the monthly rent.