All tenants at King & Queen Apartments are responsible for their apartment utility bills and charges. Tenants are responsible for the cost of utilities noted on Section 1 of the Lease Agreement during the Lease term (from the when your lease starts to when it ends). These utilities, found in Paragraph 1, include: electric, heat (which includes heating of the apartment and heat for providing instant hot water), City water & sewer, cable and Internet.
King & Queen Apartments, LLC has contracted National Exemption Service (“NES”), a utility billing service, to serve as the heating, hot water, City water & sewer, and electrical-metering and utility billing agent. NES handles and collects all apartment utility bills and charges for King & Queen Apartments.
The payments are to be mailed to National Exemption Service: P.O Box 9020. Clearwater, Fl, 33758-9020.
NES bills each apartment individually on a monthly basis. Bills are emailed directly to each tenant every month. Remember that, according to the lease agreement, tenants have agreed to pay their NES account, and to keep it in a good standing.
Each Lease Agreement allows for both energy sub-metering and ratio utility billing. Each apartment is individually sub-metered to calculate the use of electricity and heat/hot air.
The heating of hot water and City water & sewer usage is divided up between apartments using a method called Ratio Utility Billing or (“RUBs”). Each apartment is charged for the cost to heat and use instant hot water in the apartment. This calculation is based on the number of occupants in the unit. The use of energy sub-metering and ratio utility billing are both explained in your Lease Agreement in Section 7 and in the Rules & Regulations in Section D.
There is no charge for hooking-up the electrical and heat/hot water services. You do not need to contact the power company or local water/utility service.
Each tenant receives a bill for the individual apartment utility bills and charges that were used in a specific billing cycle. These bills and charges reimburse the Owner for the cost of the utilities.
Please click here for information that will help you to better understand your statement.
Your utility bill from NES includes the following information and charges:
- Number of Tenants on the Lease.
- Electricity Usage (electric submeter reading)
- Electricity Charge/kWh (electric submeter reading x $/kWh)
- Heat Usage Charge (RUBs calculation by sq. ft.)
- Hot Water Charge (RUBs calculation by occupants)
- Billing Fee*
- One Time Set Up Fee*
- Total New Charges
- Any NSF Charges
- Any Late Charges
- Total Charges for that month
- Total Received by NES
- Balance Due
* The monthly Billing Fee is currently $4.24 per apartment, which includes an auxiliary fee of $.25 for water & sewer. Additionally, NES charges a One Time Set Up Fee of $10 to all newly occupied apartments.
Paying NES promptly, in full, for the amounts of the utility bills, prior to the due date/term noted on the bill, will avoid further penalty and/or action. Per allowable Virginia law, a late fee of $5.00 per utility payment will be assessed to all payments received after the due date.
Utility bills are considered additional rent.
Any damage caused to the sub-metering equipment installed in your apartment will be repaired and you will be charged the cost of repair.
If you would like to change your email address or receive a paper bill for an additional $0.49/month, please contact NES Customer Service at 1-800-488-1748. NES’s office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00pm.
For your convenience, you may make your payments using the following options:
- Mail in a Check or Money Order.
- Automated Phone Payment Service using 1-877-UTIL-PAY(1-877-884-5729). A nominal service fee of $4.00 will be charged to your credit card at the time of the transaction.
- Web-pay is also available at: www.submeter.com and registering at the website. All major credit cards are accepted. *A nominal service fee of $3.50 will be charged at the time of the transaction.
All payments by Check or Money Order should be made payable and mailed to:
NATIONAL EXEMPTION SERVICE
PO Box 9020
Clearwater, FL 33758-9020
King & Queen Apartments is not responsible for any discrepancies including, but not limited to, monthly billing or the receiving and crediting of tenants’ payments on an account.